Friday, 8 March 2019

Blog Tour | Review | The Everlasting Rose #2 by Dhonielle Clayton

Summary


39080472
Summary from Goodreads
In this sequel to the instant New York Times bestseller, Camille, her sister, Edel, and her guard and new lover Remy must race against time to find Princess Charlotte. Sophia's Imperial forces will stop at nothing to keep the rebels from returning Charlotte to the castle and her rightful place as queen. With the help of an underground resistance movement called the Iron Ladies - a society that rejects beauty treatments entirely - and the backing of alternative newspaper The Spider's Web, Camille uses her powers, her connections and her cunning to outwit her greatest nemesis, Sophia, and restore peace to Orleans.

*Copy Courtesy of the Publisher*

Review


In the sequel to the Belles we return to the dystopian world where Beauty is revered above all and the queen in waiting, Sophia, is willing to go to any length to be the most beautiful and to own all the most unique things in the city of Orleans.

We pick right back from where the Belles ended - Camellia, Edel and Remy on the run. The story takes us to many places, the Silk Isles, Gold Isles etc and the vivid description allowed me visualize everything Clayton put forth. At times the descriptive nature did get a bit much, but not to the extent as the first book. This book for sure had a more darker twist to it - the creations of new Belles, Sophia's inventions - creeeepppyyy!

The contrast in the colors of the covers clearly shows the paths Camellia and her sisters have no choice but to take. Since the start Camellia has been very sheltered from the outside world but soon finds herself strong and hell bent of making sure Orleans does not fall into the hands of someone unfair and unjust.

Personally, I felt this book could have done with multiple point of views - it would have been very interesting to read what happened to other characters when they had to suddenly leave the group that had Camellia there. A tad predictable and all her allies getting plucked up one by one.

We see the revolution in all its glory and meet the Iron Ladies - who are badass and awesome. New depths of the Belles powers are discovered and leaving people collectively shook! I really liked the tea cup dragons, but they were more like messengers- I mean come on, they're fire breathing albeit small dragons, but dragons nonetheless *shakes head*

I did enjoy this book, the writing and plot was engaging, I did think the redemption for a certain characters was uncalled for, I really was looking forward to seeing this character evil af, I mean redeeming him wasn't needed, right? The Romance, eh ok. Can I also point out how in The Belles it's 'Camellia' and in this book it's 'Camille', I.. uh why? From what I remember she mentioned the nickname Camille once in the first book. I swear I did a double take when I first read the name Camille, thinking 'uh is this defo book 2.....'

The ending was okay I guess, it didn't go as I thought it would - I understand why, I mean what I was thinking was pretty intense and dark.

Image result for oops gif

Again, the representation was there and I feel Clayton has taken an interesting take on overthrowing societies ideas/notions and pressure to be beautiful, and to find yourself and ultimately be true to be true to the real you!


No comments:

Post a Comment