Friday, 18 April 2014

Review: The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

Summary

The Fault in Our Stars
Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten. 

Review


After completing The Fault In Our Stars I didn't know what to do; write a review or leave it at that and wait for the ever waited movie that I dearly hope lives up the standards set out by the book, I chose the former. John Green gave us all another book to put on our shelves, but that's before we read it. But once completing it it gave us another perspective on life and characters that have done a damn fine job of creeping in to our hearts and making a permanent resident there, something that I'm all up for if I must say so. 

This review is not of the usual, where I talk about everything in detail and pick out specific points about each character etc etc. NOPE. this review is just to say how much I appreciate the fact of being able to say that I have finally been given a book that is worth more than anything, that gives me the chance to see things differently and to really question reality and life's complexity. Not only have I met characters that have given a new definition to reading books for me, I've also seen the true meaning of life and how life for some - myself included - is always seen in the future and past tense, never in the present.

Despite Augustus fearing the oblivion, it goes to show that, that is what most of us are really afraid of, even though oblivion is inevitable we all still try our best to leave a mark, no matter how hard and time consuming it becomes. Not only do they refer to oblivion a handful of times, Augustus and Hazel develop throughout becoming independent for Hazel but for Augustus is to learn that leaving a heroic mark isn't the only one that can be left, instead he left an emotional mark on the one thing he loved the most, Hazel. Existence of life is the main question in the book, and is one that cannot be given a right answer too. Life after death is not something that one can learn about but is something everyone thinks about and that is the main thing that this book has made not only me but many people to think about. This book gives us a lot to think about, some more out of our reach but still something that will stay constantly in our mind. 

The Fault In Our Stars has given all those who have read it a different view point on the book, and I completely agree that each book had a different affect on us as readers. But one cannot read a review and expect to love a book, though it is natural to do so with other books it cannot be done with this. You will ALL be affected - or maybe not at all - differently once finishing this book. 

The Fault In Our Stars - John Green 5 Stars 

No comments:

Post a Comment