Friday, 13 June 2014

Review: Dark Secrets #1 by Elizabeth Chandler

Summary


10662852Two girls haunted by the past....
And destined to relive it 

In Legacy of Lies, Megan has to stay with the uptight grandmother who she wants nothing to do with. She's determined to get through the visit without any drama, but when she falls into a twisted love triangle with potentially fatal consequences, Megan may be caught up in her family's legacy in more ways than she can realize. 

In Don't Tell, Lauren knows that by returning to the town where her mother drowned seven years ago, she'll be reliving one f her most haunting memories. When she arrives, she is propelled into a series of mysterious events that mimic the days leading up to her mother's death. Maybe her mother's drowning wasn't an accident after....and maybe Lauren is next. 

Review


Dark Secrets contains two books, both mind whirling and to some extent confusing as to who the real culprit is, I don't remember when I brought this book but I can say that I was amazed by the concept of being haunted by the past, an unspeakable bond that will destine you to the truth or a web of lies? 

In Legacy of Lies young Megan is summoned by her adopted moms mother; her grandmother. Who's more uptight and shows no love to all her daughters family. Like come on she hasn't seen her daughter in god knows how long and when she finally meets her grand-daughter, she has the 10 Commandments placed on her wall, seriously? Given the responsibility of mending the relationship Megan goes to Baltimore. What amazed me most about these short novels where the placing, all in Baltimore a place beautifully described by Elizabeth Chandler; the shops, the high street, the Sycamore River and so many other places. From book one I guess I was enticed by the description of the surrounding. The way Chandler handled the surrounding was astounding, the plot line for Legacy of Lies was just as much amazing as the surrounding, having been haunted by the past bringing both Megan; witty and sarcastic and Matt her 'supposedly cousin brother' who's just as uptight but discreetly hiding something, and keeping a distant from Megan. 

This story line was amazing, I don't remember how many times I've read this novel; and yet still be surprised by who was behind the death of Avril Scarborough sister to the uptight grandmother, What? The conflict between her and Matt is just too cute and sometimes downright hilarious, no matter how much he tries to deny it there's a hidden bond between the two that not even they can grasp. A twist that will keep you reading more and more until you, yourself are caught up in the web of lies that might just be Megan's last chance to survive. 

In Don't Tell the second novel in the Dark Secrets, young Lauren is brought back to the place of her mothers death; in Wisteria. Compelled by her godmother to visit only to return after seven years to come back and relive the hellish moments that lead up to her mothers death, was Lauren's mother murders? is now the only question on Lauren's mind, and cannot trust anyone. 

I didn't quite find myself gripping on to this novel, I guess after all the re-encounters Lauren faced and her accusing Nora all the time kind of reminded me of 'The Boy Who Cried Wolf', having accused Nora all the time, and when the real murder was finally pulling the last straw to kill her, no body listened until eventually something happened making them believe her? Yeah that's what I thought of this novel. Nevertheless the twist was interesting the secrets that came out where even more unpredictable, overall it was a satisfying read. 

Elizabeth Chandler has done an amazing job at keeping her readers gripped till the last page was turned. I sure as hell was. Though the second novel could have been better, both books complimented each other well to be in the same book. This novel brings you suspense, thriller, unpredictable plot twists but most of the battle of two girls haunted by the past, in search for an ounce of trust somewhere. Will they succeed or be caught in the lies surrounding them; everywhere

Dark Secrets #1 - Elizabeth Chandler 4 stars 

No comments:

Post a Comment