Sunday, 15 June 2014

Review: The Maze Runner #1 by James Dashner

Summary

12382940
When the doors of the lift crank open, the only thing Thomas can remember is his first name. But he's not alone. He's surrounded by boys who welcome him to the Glade, an encampment at the center of a bizarre and terrible maze. 

Like Thomas, the Gladers don't know why or how they came to be there, or what's happened to the world outside. All they know is that every morning when the walls slide back, they will risk everything to find out. 




Review 


The Maze Runner was the one novel that I had wanted to read in quite a while and when I got the chance to finally purchase it, I went for it. The cover of the book is amazing, the colors giving the title more of an effect to entice readers in and it sure as hell worked for me. This book was written amazingly, James Dashner wrote in 3rd person and it was such a refreshing read, because not many books are written in 3rd person, well not the ones I've read so far and it was a surprise when I read it. Though it took me a while to get a hold of it and actually imagine the words create an image in my mind. 

The Maze Runner starts with Thomas in a metal box, why it was unclear and explained in bits and pieces later on by various other characters. The thoughts and emotions running around Thomas's mind where mirrored in mine, I was completely confused just as he was, it honestly felt like I was there and I only remembered my name as well - then reality crushed my imagination and threw everything I know back at my face, oh well - with Thomas only remembering his name, and then being thrown in an unknown place with unknown people, all boys of different ages, what was going on? Was the only question running in my head. 

With Thomas entering the so called place 'The Glade', questions pool in to his mind wanting to ask everything that is humanly possible to understand. But does he get answers? No. Which irritated him and me because I wanted to know what that place was and why there are over 50 boys there. For what purpose are they there? And importantly why are they placed in the center of a Maze? Oh come on I know you'll are surprised but the title kinda have it away, right? 

We meet a lot of characters who help Thomas and some just be the friend that you need in times like these, and that one person is Chuck; a talkative yet calming person who helped Thomas no matter what the situation was. The twist that involved both Thomas and Chuck was so unpredictable I did not see that coming at all, the promise Thomas made was so amazing that I wanted to finish the book faster because by reading Thomas's thoughts about that one promise it was clear that it was pure and intentional that I too believed that he would succeed BUT that twist. *No spoilers* A book is not complete when you don't have that one character who hates the main protagonist right? and there's always that one character that you really like because of his attitude towards everything. Yup guess you'll have to read it to see who i'm talking about.

James Dashner has done an amazing job bringing us The Maze Runner, not only does this book have an amazing dystopian setting that plunges you right in the heart of action, it also has the recurring emotion of hope, hope to finally beat the maze, hope to finally remember their parents, but most of all hope to show the 'Creators' that they will not go down without a fight, no matter how many Grievers they send - oh Grievers are these big ugly mechanical creatures that wait and prey on those that get stuck in the maze at night - The most interesting part was that Thomas felt a connection The Glades, to becoming a Runner and to the girl that came with 'a message'. But what is the meaning of this? Why does Thomas feel the need to become a runner? but most all why does he feel like he's been here before? This book brings you a thrilling Dystopian world, an ever-changing maze, and a perfectly executed twist that will keep you wanting more. 


The Maze Runner - James Dashner 5 Stars  

No comments:

Post a Comment