Saturday, 23 January 2016

Review | Truthwitch #1 by Susan Dennard

Summary


25187640
US and UK cover are amazing,
and I have both
On a continent ruled by three empires, some are born with a "witchery", a magical skill that sets them apart from others. 

In the Witchlands, there are almost as many types of magic as there are ways to get in trouble - as two desperate young women know all too well. 

Safiya is a Truthwitch, able to discern truth from lie. It's a powerful magic that many would kill to have on their side, especially amongst the nobility to which Safi was born. So Safi must keep her gift hidden, lest she be used as a pawn in the struggle between empires.

Iseult, a Threadwitch, can see the invisible ties that bind and entangle the lives around her - but she cannot see the bonds that touch her own heart. Her unlikely friendship with Safi has taken her from a life as an outcast into one of reckless adventure, where she is a cool, wary balance to Safi's hotheaded impulsiveness.  

Safi and Iseult just want to be free to live their own lives, but war is coming to the Witchlands. With the help of the cunning Prince Merik - a Windwitch and ship's captain - and the hindrance of a Bloodwitch bent on revenge, the friends must fight emperors, princes, and mercenaries alike, who with stop at nothing to get their hands on a Truthwitch.

(Summary from Goodreads)

Review


What I love most about each new year is new books and authors I discover. And Truthwitch by Susan Denard are both just that. The months I found about this book, I had this intense urge to get it by any means necessary. Unable to contain my excitement, I introduced the same impending doom to my sister, and we both set off to pre-order the US cover edition because it is beautiful - though I now I have procured the UK edition too because WHY NOT. 

This book was everything, centered around two friends; Threadsisters and their journey TOGETHER to freedom. I loved that the main concept of this book was on two friends, growing together and becoming stronger. Safiya and Iseult completed each other, the made up for each other's flaws and it was incredible. Safi was amazing, hot headed, impulsive and prone to falling for guys like Chisel Cheater. Ahh Chisel Cheaters. Whereas Iseult was constructive, the planner, the one that got them out of any mess and together they made the best duo ever and it was FRICKING fantastic. 

Merik, he was so intense with all the weight he was carrying on his shoulders - his people, the whole of Nubrevna and it pained me to see him like that. Then we have the intriguing and quite terrifying Aeudan *sigh* I need me a Merik and Aeduan, pronto. Aeduan had so many layers to his character that made me want to scream in frustration, because I wanted to know the real him. Ugh frustration levels are high right now, I can't even. 

I loved this world, the different types of witches; Safi being a Truthwitch the rarest of them all. Iseult a Threadwitch, able to see everyone's threads and what tethered them - also being a Nomatsi and hated by all. That just annoyed me because Iseult is the most amazing, remarkable person and she didn't deserve that hatred. Merik being a Windwitch, able to control the wind; good skill when you're Admiral of a ship. Then we have Aeduan, a Bloodwitch the deadliest of them all. NO COMMENT. Plus so many others; Firewitch, Waterwitch, Ironwitch, Cursewitch etc. The list and powers are endless and it was mind-blowing. 

The plot takes so many twists and turns, so many epic scenes like the four-step Nubrevna dance, the intense most amazing, vivid fight scenes I have ever read; at the Lighthouse, more specifically between Iseult and Aeduan... OH GOD, I wish I was there - of course rooting from the side, ready to jump in when needed! What, you thought I would just stand there? NUH UH! The journey this book takes is truly breathtaking, the whole Cahr Awen really intrigued me and the aspect of the monks was so clever, cannot wait to read more about them and about the Carawen Monastery. 

I can go in and on about how amazing this book is but that's the thing, you need  to experience it yourself fall in love with another world that will leave you speechless, leave you so caught up in this world that you'd wish it to be true. Susan, you have blown me away with such a phenomenal novel, with different types of witches, intense fighting that I LOVED so much. Let's not forget the extremely hot guys to fall in love with, characters to remember each like; Kullen - Merik's Threadbrother, Evrane - a monk with a bad-ass fighting streak, Mathew and Habim. And finally, two best friends; Threadsisters who will fight anything, go through any situations to save one another even if it means jumping off cliffs, fighting sea creatures, and being stubborn as hell. This book is a must read. 'Initiate, complete'. 

P.S. I totally ship Merik and Safiya, Aeduan and Iseult . MY SHIPS WILL SAIL. 

Truthwitch - Susan Denard 


No comments:

Post a Comment