Summary
Mare's blood is red - the color of common folk - but her Silver ability, the power to control lightning, has turned her into a weapon that the royal court tries to control.
The crown calls her an impossibility, a fake, but as she makes her escape from the Prince and friends who betrayed her, Mare uncovers something startling; she is not the only one of her kind.
Pursued by the Silver King, Mare sets out to find and recruit other Red and Silver fighters to join in the struggle against her oppressors.
But Mare finds herself on a deadly path, at risk of becoming exactly the kind of monster she is trying to defeat. Will she shatter under the weight of the lives that are the cost of rebellion? Or have treachery and betrayal harden her forever?
(Summary from Goodreads)
Review
*Deep Breath* Where on Earth do I start with this book? I honestly thought leaving the review for a couple of days (*cough* weeks) will help me gather all my thoughts. Did that work? HELL NO! It still feels like I just finished reading it and that last line, that last brutal line. Though it was only 2 words, it broke me so badly that I ended up throwing the book to the other end of my bed. Readers reflexes are indeed a thing, they protect you from pain - mine just happened to work 2 seconds late.
Glass Sword starts off from the very second Red Queen ended. Which surprised me a bit but quickly recovered because it jumped straight into action, running and more running. What I like about Victoria Aveyard's writing is the intense need to read word for word because anything could happen and I mean ANYTHING quite literally.
We meet new and old characters, some intense and others a sight for sore eyes. Farley was amazing, from how she was in Red Queen to now, her character development is worth singling out. I LOVE SHADE! He was so incredible and nice and ASFGHJKL - no comment. Cal was hot as ever - his powers, guys come on... Okay, in that sense too. The struggles he faces are well bottled up, and it physically pained me to read. Mare was bad-ass as ever, but more impulsive, more in need to beat Maven, which is totally understandable. I mean, I want to beat him senseless! Also TEAM CAL AND MARE. ALL THE FEELS.
There are so many new characters that are equally as bad-ass and some quite annoying but bearable - slightly. I personally feel that 2/3 of the novel was much needed to be as it was, to be set a few paces back for readers to soak in all the information and remember each face, each EPIC new powers. (Victoria, you are the Queen of creating amazing powers. I mean, I want those powers) But when the action happened I was left teetering on the edge of my seat, all snacks forgotten. It was full on jaw dropping and OH MY GOD. I'm still in awe of everything and just typing up this review is bringing it all back. Though it irked me slightly how we didn't get much on Maven and his evil, manipulative mother - understandable considering it is a 1st person novel - I still wanted to know what they were up too, but the element of surprise was not lost on me. NOT ONE BIT. Though a little something does happen that took me completely by surprise. I mean no buildup, no nothing just BAM it happened. And I'm not sure how I feel about it just yet.
Victoria Aveyard, where do I begin to say thank-you for this amazing, heart-breaking, gut wrenching squeal? All I can say is this book will grip you tight until that last sentence is read and etched into your brain. You will most definitely need tissues, a lot of ice-cream when finished and a few days ready to tweet in caps lock to vent out all your feels. I need book 3 so badly, the need is intense but I also cannot wait for Cruel Crown, the two novellas. Which is already published in the US *sad face* Nevertheless I have never pre-ordered something so fast in my life. It is releasing in April in the UK, my birthday month. Coincidence? I think not.
No comments:
Post a Comment