Summary
Vika Andreyeva can summon the snow and turn ash into gold. Nikolai Karimov can see through walls and conjure bridges out of thin air. They are enchanters - the only two in Russia - and with the Ottoman Empire and the Kasakhs threatening, the Tsar needs a powerful enchanter by his side.
And so he initiates the Crown's Game, an ancient duel of magical skill - the greatest test an enchanter will ever know. The victor becomes the Imperial Enchanter and the Tsar's most respected adviser. The defeated is sentences to death.
Raised on tiny Ovchinin Island her whole life, Vika is eager for the chance to show off her talent in the grand capital of Saint Petersburg. But can she kill another enchanter - even when his magic called to her like nothing else ever has?
For Nikolai, an orphan, the Crown's Game is the chance of a lifetime. But his deadly opponent is a force to be reckoned with - beautiful, whip smart, imaginative - and he can't stop thinking about her.
And when Pasha, Nikolai's best friends and heir to the throne, also starts to fall for the mysterious enchantress, Nikolai must defeat the girl they both love... or be killed himself.
As long-buried secrets emerge, threatening the future of the empire, it becomes dangerously clear... the Crown's Game is not one to lose.
(Summary from Goodreads)
Review
You know a book is really good when you finish it in a day, yes I finished this book in a few hours and it was phenomenal. What really captured my attention was the fact it was based in Russia and during the Tsar rein. Yes, I may know a little history but only a little, I blame my history teacher at college who made me hate it. There aren't many books based in Russia, besides the Grisha trilogy, from what I can remember.
Okay, this book starts off in a bakery. You will be hooked from the first chapter because those sweet confectionery are legendarily described. And they are a constant throughout the whole novel *YUM*. The whole world building was fantastic, I mean I want to go Russia now. Evelyn has amazingly set out each scene, the atmospheres so vivid and clear, literally played out like a movie in my head. The Crown's Game was created to see who is worthy of being the Tsar's enchanter, sounds a lot like a battle, but in fact it was a competition of impressing the future Tsar; Pasha.
The characters were very interesting. Vika, a strong willed, fierce red head who was brought up believing to be the only one to have magical abilities, and would become the Tsar's enchanters upon the right age. Nikolai, an orphan, fighting for the one thing in his reach; to become the enchanter. Both so different, wielding such opposite and equally mesmerizing magic. The magic was so vividly described, each of their turns were so amazing and better each time, and the burning marks *shudders*
Though The Crown's Game is based around Vika and Nikolai, we also have Pasha; heir to the throne and Nikolai's best friend. Pasha was a great addition point of view, especially to see what life is like inside the palace as the heir. Though we go into the novel with the knowledge of a love triangle, I personally didn't enjoy reading it. Though it's not actively the most dominant aspects, I just don't like love triangles. Then we have Renata, she was great and caring but again I felt she wasn't much needed, unless she has a bigger role in book 2, then I am quite intrigued.
This book is an amazing debut and Evelyn has officially become my favourite author. And after that ending, which physically and emotionally killed me, book 2 needs to come quick because I need to know. I NEED TO KNOW!!! With absolutely mind-blowing magic, a sub plot that will shock you so bad, Evelyn brings you a breathtaking, Russian based novel that will leave you wanting more and more NIKOLAI!!
No comments:
Post a Comment