Wednesday, 3 August 2016

Review | Dominion #3 by John Connolly & Jennifer Ridyard

Summary

28010128
They have cheated death.

Defied their people.

Changed beyond recognition. 

Their love has survived the impossible,

But now they must learn to trust again; the future of their worlds depend on it. 

Review


Once I had devoured Empire (book 2) I was in need of the third and final book immediately. I needed to see how it would all end for Syl, Paul, Ani, Steven and even the Archmage Syrene. A couple weeks ago I emailed the lovely Elizabeth to find out a release day. Sometime later I, alongside all the other Chronicles Champions, received a review copy and I had devoured straight away it and literally could not come up with a single coherent sentence but now I am, so bare with me guys. 

Dominion follows on from the great escape from Erebos. Syl and Paul alongside his Nomad crew take the most dangerous wormhole where no living person has returned. And Ani remains in the midst of all the bloodshed, with a single promise; to bring the sisterhood back to its rightful name. Looking back at Conquest and the naivety of the main characters really breaks my heart. To see how quickly they had to grow, evolve and adapt was shown and written amazingly. The changes Ani and Syl went through, becoming something no human or Illyr would even consider played a huge role. Steven was a much more active member, I mean having his own ship, crew and doing a helluva lot more *claps hands* job well done. Paul adapted well, becoming more determined and strong, but will that be enough?

We get a lot on supporting characters; Vena, Trask, Fremd, Meia - my favourite mech - and so many others. One thing that truly disappointed me was the less chapters from the point of view of Syl and Paul. From gaining so much through them in Conquest and Empire to not much at all in Dominion was a let down. That's not to say it's not understandable, we're getting insight from the Marque, Earth, Erebos, to different ships; it was insightful and just what was needed to make up for the loss of their POVs. After all war was everywhere, not on just one planet. not just between two entities for there is a third hidden in the midst, and much more powerful.

John and Jennifer have a done a great job bringing this trilogy to an end. Though I expected certain characters to play a much bigger role in the end and not have what happened to said characters. The ending was promising, which left enough for the imagination. Syl and Ani's relationship was something that kept this book together and Syrene, well that is something worth reading on your own. I love the concept of the future with the chapters showing what lead to 'so and so's' actions. It took on a different attempt with this, though it was a tad dangerous to do with the final book, they both took caution and created something unique and incredible. Though the descriptive aspect did go slightly overboard at time, the action, fights and decisions that were made, made up for it. The build up was amazing, took some unexpected turns. Nevertheless an amazing ending to the Chronicles of the Invaders trilogy. I will truly miss this world. 

Dominion #3 - John Connolly and Jennifer Ridyard 

No comments:

Post a Comment