Summary
She is the most powerful Jinni of all. He is a boy from the streets. Their love will shake the worlds...
When Aladdin discovers Zahra's jinni lamp, Zahra is thrust back into a world she hasn't seen in hundreds of years - a world where magic is forbidden and Zahra's very existence is illegal. She must disguise herself to stay alive, using ancient shape-shifting magic, until her new master has selected his three wishes.
But when the King of the Jinn offers Zahra a chance to be free of her lamp forever, she seizes the opportunity - only to discover she is falling in love with Aladdin. When saving herself means betraying him, Zahra must decide once and for all; is winning her freedom worth losing her heart?
As time unravels and her enemies close in, Zahra finds herself suspended between danger and desire in this dazzling retelling of Aladdin from acclaimed author Jessica Khoury.
(Summary from Goodreads)
Review
I brought this book in April as a birthday gift for myself after a Fairy Loot Chat took place the night before. I was simply sold on the concept of an Aladdin retelling. I'm a huge fan of re-tellings, so nothing deterred me from buying it the minute it turned 12:01! I don't know why I left it till now to read it, I am simply blown away and I cannot wait to read more by Jessica Khoury.
The Forbidden Wish starts off with a bang! Long lost kingdom, hidden cave and a simple boy and a lamp. What could possibly go wrong? A LOT. This book is from a first person perspective; Zahra, the wish granted and it was phenomenal. Throughout it all I didn't feel lost or felt disconnected with other characters aka Aladdin. Because Zahra was always there, in one form or another, showing us what's going on. The plot was intense and heartbreaking. If it's not the plot, then Jessica's magical writing will suck you right in. The writing style was unique and alluring, captivating and breathtaking. It all played out in my head; I could picture the Jewel garden, I could feel the despair Zahra felt, the helplessness of Aladdin, but above all the glimmer of hope and freedom.
The characters where phenomenal. I instantly fell in love with Zahra and Aladdin. They somehow balanced each other out. And their love was a slow burn, not instant but gradually building and I felt it all, the change, denial and acceptance as if I was right there when Zahra conjured a ship, taught Aladdin the proper eloquence of being a regal. Let's not forget when Aladdin got kidnapped; which was hilarious because of who kidnapped him.
Jessica has taken this tale and woven it to become more. The immense power each female introduced in here had was amazing. Zahra being an all powerful Jinni, flawed; yes, but she took no shit from anyone. The we have Princess Despida; strong-willed, haunted by the past but ready to make the future a better place for her people. Together, they where badass and a force to be reckoned with, but was it as easy as that to become one force?
Jessica has done an absolute phenomenal job with this retelling. It was nice to read a standalone for once. To create a book set both in past and present was amazing, not once did I feel lost. It was heartbreaking to see Zahra's past unfold and to learn the real truth behind the fall of Queen Roshana. Their relationship was one of which sisters have. Are you prepared to face a magical retelling of Aladdin? Are you ready to meet characters that will blow you away as well as make you love them immensely? Are you willing to meet the King, the most feared and hated; Shaitan? But what part does he play... Find out as you step inside the mind of a powerful Jinni Zahra; will she betray as all Jinni's are made to or will she break free of the chains that hold her? Find out what is truly meant by The Forbidden Wish.
No comments:
Post a Comment