Friday, 9 September 2016

Review | A Torch Against the Night #2 by Sabaa Tahir

Summary


25716704Elias and Laia are running for their lives.

After the events of the Fourth Trial, Martial soldiers hunt two fugitives as they fled the city of Serra and undertake the perilous journey through the heart of the empire.

Laia is determined to break into Kauf - the Empire's most secure and dangerous prison - to save her brother, who is the key to the Scholars' survival. And Elias is determined to help Laia succeed, even if it means giving up his last chance of freedom.

But dark forces, human and otherworldly, work against Laia and Elias. The pair must fight every step of the way to outsmart their enemies; the bloodthirsty Emperor Marcus, the merciless Commandant, the sadistic Warden of Kauf, and, most heartbreaking of all, Helene - Elias's former friend and the Empire's newest Blood Shrike.

Bound to Marcus's will, Helene faces a tortuous mission of her own - one that might destroy her: find the traitor Elias Veturius and the Scholar slave who helped him escape... and kill them both.

Review


There are simply not enough words to describe this book. I tried my best to put off reading this simply because of all the feels that inevitably came with it. When I read an Ember in The Ashes last year, I was shocked and in awe of the world building, the plot, the characters; ELIAS! I was sucked in, but sadly I wasn't satisfied with it. I knew the minute I finished An Ember in The Ashed that I DID want to carry on to see where it all goes, because somehow I became attached to this world and a few characters.

A Torch Against the Night continues from the moment An Ember ends; Laia and Elias on the run, Marcus the Emperor and Helene the Blood Shrike and let's not forget the Commandant aka bat shit crazy. Being on the run was intense, all to get to Kauf, to break out Darius; Laia's brother for he has knowledge that can bring a balance to this battle. But is that really all? The plot was crazy intense, shocking and absolutely incredible. It's not everyday I fall in with a series because of the second book. And I can possibly say is that this book has blown be away and the wait for book 3 is going to be so very agonizing.

We get 3 POVs; Laia, Elias aka BAE and Helene. I really liked Laia and Helene more in this book. Laia was more active, more sure of herself and the development was amazing. I loved Helene, she was so different here, in An Ember she was just hung up on Elias, where as here she was determined and thought of herself and her family. "loyal to the End". Elias, my baby! He went through so much. I can't! He was amazing, so much development it was mind blowing. IM STILL NOT OVER IT.

The unending brilliance of this book is astounding! I read this book in one sitting and I was hysterical, shocked, in tears and awe of the book. Supporting characters where amazing; we meet new and old who are just as badass and lovable as the main. We meet Elias's adoptive mother, who I instantly loved, she was the mother Elias deserved not the Commandant. The tribes where amazing and the sense of community strong. And HARPER. OMG! Guys, there's a new ships I see, and I loved it. I SHIP HELENE AND HARPER AND I DO NOT CARE.

Sabaa Tahir has simply blown me away! This sequel will leave you shocked, heartbroken and unable to determine those plot twists just like a wraith! You will be left craving more and the magic will leave you wanting to know more. If you thought An Ember in The Ashes was amazing you are in for one helluva ride with this book. Are you prepared to meet the new Emperor? Are you ready to learn the secrets of some of you're favourite characters? Are you willing to visit Kauf? Then step inside and guard your heart and prepare to be unmade. 

A Torch Against the Night - Sabaa  Tahir 


Favourite Quote


"You are my temple," I murmur as I kneel beside her. "You are my priest. You are my prayer. You are my release." Grandfather would scowl at me for sullying his beloved mantra so. But I think I prefer it this way. - Elias Veturius 

I'm not crying, you are *wipes tears*

No comments:

Post a Comment