Thursday, 4 April 2019

Review | Holy Sister #3 by Mark Lawrence

Summary


38099642
Summary from Goodreads
They came against her as a child. Now they face the woman.

The ice is advancing, the Corridor narrowing, and the empire is under siege from the Scithrowl in the east and the Durns in the west. Everywhere, the emperor's armies are in retreat.

Nona faces the final challenges that must be overcome if she is to become a full sister in the order of her choice. But it seems unlikely that Nona and her friends will have time to earn a nun's habit before war is on their doorstep.

Even a warrior like Nona cannot hope to turn the tide of war.

The shiphearts offer strength that she might use to protect those she loves, but it's a power that corrupts. A final battle is coming in which she will be torn between friends, unable to save them all. A battle in which her own demons will try to unmake her.

A battle in which hearts will be broken, lovers lost, thrones burned. 


Review


What an ending to an amazing trilogy - yet again Mark Lawrence has managed to create yet another favourite trilogy of mine - Prince of Thorns being the first and I cannot wait to finally read Prince of Fools - it’s been on my shelf for soooo long and I feel the intense stare piercing me as I write this review.

Holy Sister is set 2/3 years after the events of Grey Sister. However, unlike Grey Sister, Holy Sister has alternating chapters - the past aka ‘The Escape’ after the throw-down at Sherzal’s palace and the present - including mastermind planning and the build up to the war thrusting the doors of Verity. With the Scithrowl and the Durns coming and the biggest threat being the Ice creeping inch by inch. This book was insane like I still cannot get over those last 100 pages!

Nona Grey has been a delight to read about - and her character growth absolutely amazing. From a little 8 year old girl sold, to a woman soon to become a nun - wise with unspeakable horrors and loss. Friendship is everything to Nona and I love it. I love Ara, Zole and Jula, Ruli - the list is endless and OMG KETTLE. PROTECT KETTLE! All the Sisters at Sweet Mercy grew on me so much and oh my lord the ending was epic and everyone’s played a huge part. 

This book was a work of magic and I didn’t see a single thing coming and the revelations at the end - mind blowing - aka, Abbess Glass is one badass woman who put all the men and Sherzal, who tried to outsmart her to shame - emphasis on the TRY because they failed! HAHA SUCK IT!

Things I loved like so much -


• The world building, with a hint of Sci-Fi - amazing
• FRIENDSHIP! I don’t care how many times I say this but I love this.
• The thread bonds - this was epic beyond measure like whuttttt mind blowing
• The magic system


            - See what I did there hahaha 

• Character growth - both young and old
• I liked how it was away from the Convent and moved from different places

Overall this was a mind blowing ending to the trilogy - I feel like there’s more to be told in this universe and I really hope I’m right. I would have loved to see a map of every place they went too, plus who doesn’t love a map, right? So, who’s ready to step inside Sweet Mercy and learn the art of deception or the way of the blade or path? Do you have what it takes...? But remember, have a little faith!


No comments:

Post a Comment