Thursday, 9 May 2019

Blog Tour | Review | Crown of Feathers #1 by Nicki Pau Preto

Summary


35715518
Summary from Goodreads
I had  a sister, once...

In a world ruled by fierce warrior queens, a grand empire was built upon the backs of Phoenix Riders - legendary heroes who soared through the sky on wings of fire - until a ware between two sisters ripped it all apart.

I promised her the throne would not come between us.

Sixteen years later, Veronyka is a war orphan who dreams of becoming a Phoenix Rider from the stories of old. After a shocking betrayal from her controlling sister, Veronyka strikes out alone to find the Riders - even if that means disguising as a boy to join the ranks.

But it is a fact of life that one must kill or be killed. Rule or be ruled.

Just as Veronyka finally feels like she belongs, her sister turns up and reveals a tangled web of lies between them that will change everything. And meanwhile, the new empire has learned of the Riders' return and intends to destroy them once and for all.

Sometimes the title of queen is given. Sometimes it must be taken.

*Copy Courtesy of the Publisher*

Review


Let's start off with being honest, shall we? The first thing I fell in love with was the cover - guilty! And then I read the synopsis and was sold on Phoenix Riders! I mean, just look at that cover with the fiery Phoenix in all its glory. Every time I look at it I get stunned all over again.

This book follows 3 POV's, Veronyka, Sev and Tristan. All animages but all in very different circumstances. Veronyka is a war child who has been with sister Val, hiding from the new Empire and hiding their magic and other skills. And on the search for Phoenix eggs so together they can become Phoenix Riders, just like in the stories told by their Maiora (grandmother). Veronyka and Val are complete opposites, Nyka is caring and treats animals as equals whereas Val treats them as things to command and to control! In her own twisted way, Val does what she does to protect Nyka - but things go a little too far.

Sev is an animage hiding as a soldier of the Empire, hiding in plain sight, hiding his magic from enemies and his own people who are in chains. I mean, what's a boy to do after losing his famed Rider parents to the War? Tristan is an animage, bonded to his Phoenix living with people just like him. The best animage apprentice training to become a Phoenix Rider and scout for the Commander, his father and their cause. What will happen when world collide?

I really liked Veronyka, she is strong willed from the start, feels all emotions and doesn't just bottle them away, she learns to stand up for herself and follow her dreams to ride with other Phoenix Riders, whatever it takes. Sevs' character growth was amazing, for someone who only looked out for himself to become part of a cause his parents believed in. Through Veronyka's POV we learn a lot of her peoples history, more importantly the Blood War - a war between the Ashfire sisters for the crown. We learn a lot, and it is slow to start off with - but it picks up half way through and is a total rollercoaster rider at the end. 

The ending was insane, truly this book is worth reading start to finish. Everything makes sense at the end - one thing Nicki has truly captured are the emotions - sadness, anger, frustration etc I felt it all through each character. Romance isn't really a main aspect but there's angst and I'm intrigued as to what happens next.
   This is an amazing first book, a tad info dumping and slow but still managed to keep me hooked and on the edge of my seat! A battle lost 16 years ago, a war still to come. Who will win and sit on the throne with a Crown of Feathers?

No comments:

Post a Comment