Saturday, 8 March 2014

Review: Forsaken #1 by Jana Oliver

Summary

Riley Blackthorne just needs a chance to prove herself-and that's exactly what the demons are counting on...

Seventeen-year-old Riley, the only daughter of legendary Demon Trapper, Paul Blackthorne, has always dreamed of following in her father's footsteps. The good news is, with human society seriously disrupted by economic upheaval and Lucifer increasing the number of demons in all major Cities, Atlanta's local Trappers' Guild needs all the help they can get - even from a girl. When she's not keeping up with her homework or trying to manage her growing crush on fellow apprentice, Simon, Riley's out saving distressed citizens from foul-mouthed little devils - Grade one Hellspawn only, of course, per strict rules of the Guild. Life's about as normal as can be for the average demon-trapping teen.

But then a Grade Five Geo-Fiend crashes Riley's routine assignment at a library, jeopardizing her life and her chosen livelihood. And, as if that wasn't bad enough, sudden tragedy strikes the Trappers' Guild, spinning Riley down a more dangerous path than she ever could have imagined. As her whole world crashes down around her, who can Riley trust with her heart-and her life?

Review

This is the first book in the epic Demon Trapping Series, and by far the best book that I had first read in 2011, when it was first released. I picked this book up randomly while shopping and on the same day I had finished it and expressed my love and withdrawal of all the characters all over twitter and to the author Jana. So far I have read this book more than i can remember and it never bores me or makes me think 'Oh, I've already read this, lets read something else!' Nope, I'll read it again and act surprised at all the best parts (which is literally all of the book).

First off this book shows Riley Blackthorne 'the only girl on the Guild' - which is not fun as it sounds, not one bit - portrayed as an independent, strong minded, hot headed 17 year old girl, who just wants to following in her fathers footsteps and have most of the guys cut her some slack. But nothing comes that easily, she has to 'prove' that she's is capable of staying in the Guild. What??? She's the type of character who doesn't take no for an answer, and doesn't let anyone walk all over her which is something I really liked about her. If something was to happen she wouldn't whine or break down, she would face the problem head on and stop at nothing to get what she wants.
Riley is only 17 and has seen and been through so much; after losing her mother at a young age, Riley is left with her father Paul, who is an amazing character, who is proud of Riley and tries his best to keep her out of Trapping - No such luck with that. Riley has to endure the loss of a parent again when her father is killed when trapping a demon with Beck - The same demon who messed Riley's Trapping in the library. Coincidence? I think not. Paul's death was the most heartbreaking moment in the book that made me cry (It still does).

Beck was Riley's crush at the age of 15, soon becoming the only person left who she secretly classes as family or maybe something more. I fell in love with Beck surprisingly before I even started this book, I guess that happened when the blurb said 'Beck, the tough trapper who thinks he's god's gifts', well i guess that just set the picture of this book for me. After reading into the book more Beck started to show a different side of himself which really set in for me, even after Simon came in, I was hooked on Beck. In the book Beck seems to think the answer to every question is in a bottle of beer, oh well I guess we all have a weak point, right?! For Riley, Beck was the type of person who she could turn to at the end of the day, even if it was for arguing purposes, she valued his presence even if she didn't realize that herself. 

Then comes Simon, the sweet, innocent, lovable guy who Riley falls for. Did I mention he's a Trapper? Yup a trapper who actually has some likable qualities. Simon is also there for Riley after the death of her father. its understandable why she falls for him instead of Beck in this book, if I must add you never know what will happen. Beck; reserved, argues a lot and doesn't let  anybody in besides Paul. Simon; sweet, kind, acts like a gentleman and is probably everything Riley sees in a guy. Their relationship hits off on a good start, if I must say but things start to go downhill when Simon is hurt during the attack on the Guild, who always have a holy water circle around them during the Guild meeting, so how did that happen?? 

Ori is the 3rd guy in Riley's crazy world, who doesn't show up a lot in the book only when she's in danger, the book left me hanging with a lot question about him; Who is he? Why so mysterious? and the million dollar question was, what did he want with Riley? No answers until book 2 came out.

Jana Oliver took all her reading on a crazy ride with Forsaken and done a very good job with keeping us all intent on finishing the book. Hell, I finished the book on the same day as buying it. If that doesn't show a book is good then I don't know what does. This book made me laugh, cry, and hope for the best, for all the people in the book. After reading this book I couldn't stop talking about it, every conversation with my sisters would end with me talking about how AMAZING and trilling this book was and still is. Hats off to you Jana, your creativity and imagination has created such a world where I always lose myself too and sometimes think how it would be like to actually be a trapper and trap besides Riley and Beck. This book brings you trappers, demons, love, heartbreak and a mysterious vibe to it till the very end, I really wished this book didn't end but if it didn't we all wouldn't be so enthusiastic to book 2. It's definitely a must read if you haven't read it. 


The cover of this book is breathtakingly beautiful, I must say the UK version is totally amazing and the color and facial expression clearly foreshadow what will happen, and I can honestly say there has been a lot of fire with this book. GO READ IT!!!



Forsaken - Jana Oliver 5 Stars 

No comments:

Post a Comment