Wednesday, 18 March 2015

Review | The Catalyst #1 by Helena Coggan

Summary


24969992
Rose Elmsworth has a secret, for eighteen years, the world has been divided into the magically Gifted and the non-magical Ashkind, but Rose's identity is far more dangerous. At fifteen, she has earned herself a place alongside her father in the Department, a brutal law-enforcement organization run by the Gifted to control the Ashkind. But now an old enemy is threatening to start a catastrophic war, and Rose faces a challenging test of her loyalties. how much does she really know about her father's past? How far is the Department willing to go to keep the peace? And, if the time comes, will Rose choose to protect her secret, or the people she loves 


Review


The Catalyst was simply a mind-blowing and stunning read, I'm going to be honest and say that I did not know Helena was 15 years old to get this published, the story-line was gripping enough for me to want to read it. But for a young woman to achieve such height at a young age is amazing, and I for one cannot wait for the next installment. 

I enjoyed reading this novel from third person, it gave me more to see with all the characters, we get to see how they progress from the very beginning to the very end of the novel, which though is very slow we get to see how they handle certain situations. Though I enjoy reading - from time to time - third person novels, it got confusing at certain points as to who done what or what happened to so and so, making me think back to who that chapter was focusing on. I personally don't enjoy doing that, I prefer having what I just read completely clear and fresh instead of having to recollect what just happened. 

Hybrids, Demons, Angels and Ashkind. All thrust into a world just after war with drastic changes, changes with hierarchy and power, but that doesn't always mean that Ashkind will change and accept it without a fight. NOPE. The Department had quite a few likable characters that made reading this novel a lot more interesting, I feel that supporting characters made this novel even more amazing. Even young Rose herself, such a strong and courageous protagonist, but it got the point were I was left thinking "but she's only fifteen" *thinks back to when I was fifteen* uhmmm... moving on. Despite the decisions and situations Rose was placed in, she was a very likable character who's presence made a huge impact on the novel. I loved her relationship with her father, sometimes even I forgot that he wasn't her father, he found her and took her in, But their relationship and bond was simply amazing to read. This novel just shows that there are strong bonds besides family.

Rose Elmsworth isn't the only one who keeps on surprising us, David Elmsworth is not far behind. Such a true form of a leader, the character was written very well, all emotions were clear to see. We saw what truly lay behind David, a worried father with many secrets and tricks up his sleeve. This novel was mind-blowing and I must say that this should be read by you all, despite all the mixed reviews, read it and fall in the depths of a new London, where Hybrids are threats and Angels compel you to spill your secrets. What can Rose expect from The Department when they are threatened by a force far more deceiving than any they have met, but most of all what can she do to help all those she loves?

The Catalyst - Helena Coggan 4 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment