Summary
![]() |
| That cover though! *heart eyes* |
Adrian sul'Han, known as Ash, is a trained healer with a powerful gift of magic - and a thirst for revenge, Ash is forced into hiding after a series of murders throws the queendom into chaos. Now Ash is closer than he's ever been to killing the man responsible, the cruel King of Arden. As a healer, can Ash use his powers not to save a life but to take it?
Abandoned at birth, Jenna Bandelow was told that the mysterious Magemark on the back of her neck would make her a target. But when the King's Guard launches a relentless search for a girl with a mark like hers, Jenna assumes that it has more to do with her role as a saboteur than any birth-based curse. Though Jenna doesn't know why she's being hunted, she knows that she can't get caught.
Eventually, Ash's and Jenna's paths will collide in Arden. Thrown together by chance and joined by their hatred of the King, they will come to rescue each other in ways they cannot yet imagine.
(Summary from Goodreads)
Review
Where to start with this review? This is the first book I have read written by the talented Cinda Williams Chima and definitely not the last. When this book first arrived I was beyond ecstatic because the synopsis really stole my heart. Then I started reading it, I couldn't stop, I finished reading this book in two sittings and I truly regret reading so fast because a) this books is releasing only TODAY and b) the wait for book 2 is really, really long. Now do you understand my pain? No? Wait till you read this book.
The characters were absolutely fantastic, there is so much development with some that it really made the book more intense. I love Ash, though he's just a healer - a bloody good one at that - he accomplished so much. From so much loss, despite the anger, he stuck to his promise and went through hell, literally. Jenna was a really great character, it was nice to see a different perspective; from the Delphi, a place where miners live, earn and work. Her story was so intriguing, the different identities she took on added to the mystery that is Jenna - the girl with the Magemark on her neck, that has the most powerful people hunting her. I felt that Ash and Jenna didn't meet as soon as I expected, I mean they don't meet till half the book is over, which doesn't help with their relationship evolving.
We meet other characters; Lila, someone who lives a life full of secrets, and the twist that happened with her - well, I did not see it coming at all. Destin Karn, son of general Marin Khan - one scary son of a bitch - who treats his son like shit, which really irritated me SO much. Destin was an interesting character, his role at first wasn't clear and honestly I didn't see the point of him then, but then certain events take place that changed that perspective and kind of made it slightly confusing. I need more Destin, I mean what is his role?! SO MANY QUESTIONS.
The plot was absolutely gripping, mind-blowing and phenomenal. Cinda's writing made everything so vividly clear; I could picture Delphi, the mountains of Fell, the Kings stables and so much more. I loved Ash's relationship with the animals and the dragon. YES, there are dragons and pirates - I LOVE PIRATES! Though I kind of sense something odd about said dragon. I loved the mystery behind Jenna's background, though it's not all revealed. I need book 2, like right now! I personally felt Jenna and Ash's relationship wasn't expanded on, it was too rushed and I hope, HOPE we see more development and PLEASE no love triangles.
Cinda, you have done a phenomenal job with this first novel in the Shattered Realm series. This book is everything I expect in a fantasy novel. I hope to see more on the Fells and Celestane. The events were quite abrupt at the end and kind of not what I expected, but still that epilogue has be SO intrigued for book 2. This book has a young boy who has lost so much but hasn't lost hope, a girl who wears identities as masks; worlds collide. Will Ash be able to keep that promise? Will Jenna be able to escape all attempts of imprisonment for a mark she has no clue about? Find out, in this mind-blowing, captivating series start; Flamecaster.

No comments:
Post a Comment