Wednesday, 24 September 2014

Review: Geek Girl - From Geek to Chick #1 by Holly Smale

Summary


13621089Harriet Manners knows a lot of things.

She knows that a cat has 32 muscles in each ear, Bluebirds can't see the color blue, the average person laughs 15 times per day and peanuts are an ingredient of dynamite.

But she doesn't know why nobody at school seems to like her. So why she's offered a chance to reinvent herself, Harriet grabs it. Can she transform from Geek to chic?




Review


Geek Girl was simply an amazing read. I brought book one and two the day before I started college, you can say it was an act to simply get me to go to college or something to actually make me get through the first day of college; and it did. Just the other day I read From Geek to Chic in 3 hours, which included a lot of "oh, just one more chapter", up until the book was complete

Reading about Harriet Manner was really great and amusing but at times I felt really bad and actually felt her pain when she was constantly getting bullied but Harriet didn't let that get her down. Yes she did want to change because she was classed as a "Geek" but for her, I think she had to experience and not be told that being a Geek isn't bad and I guess Harriet is in for a surprise. This book didn't take long for me to get in part with all the action and drama, from the very first page it felt like I was right next to Harriet experiencing everything she was going through. Which was amazing, I literally could NOT put this book down, that is how emotionally invested I got in this book. 

The plot line was amazing, gripping and simple which was really needed for me with college. Every character was distinguishable which I loved, I really like knowing that all characters are the same whether they are the main protagonists or a newly profound stalker of yours - oh Holly I'm making a lot if Geek Girl references - it was really nice, because a character who made just a chapter appearance was brought back later on which I really liked reading about. I simply loved Wilbur his sass was definitely an enjoying read and Yuka, boy is she a piece of work, I loved her! There was not a single moment I felt like I hated any of the characters, wait probably Alexa she's a meany

Geek Girl is simply amazing, I have never used amazing so many times in a review and it feels good because it's true. I loved every relationship Harriet had with everyone; her dad which I found really cute and adorable, her step-mom who is the perfect person they need in their lives, her best friend whom she has her ups and downs with but still tried to amend her mistakes, with Toby which was hilarious because he knew her probably more than she knew herself, but he helped when she need someone and last but not least her relationship with Nick it was ADORABLE, come on meeting "the one" under a table is really cute and so unpredictable because it was hilarious and really surprising. Ohh I wish he didn't disappear every time he and Harriet met and spoke, but I still loved reading about them two, especially that interview at the end was really cool. This novel brings you a geeky girl, an adventure in the making, true friendship but most of a journey for Harriet to find herself and know that being a Geek isn't bad. GEEKS RULE!!! 

Geek Girl From Geek to Chick - Holly Smale 5 Stars 

2 comments:

  1. I have Geek Girl but I haven't read it for some reason... This review has really made me want to pick it up! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely read it, its such a great and easy read. Let me know when you read it on twitter :) x

      Delete