Saturday, 12 September 2015

Review | The Wrath and The Dawn #1 by Renee Ahdieh

Summary


18798983One Life to One Dawn.

In a land ruled by a murderous boy-king, each dawn brings heartache to a new family. Khalid, the eighteen-year-old Caliph of Khorasan, is a monster. Each night he takes a new bride only to have a silk cord wrapped around her throat come morning. When sixteen-year-old Shahrzad's dearest friend falls victim to Khalid, Shahrzad vows vengeance and volunteers to be his next bride. Shahrzad is determined not only to stay alive, but to end the caliph's reign of terror once and for all.

Night after night, Shahrzad beguiles Khalid, weaving stories that enchant, ensuring her survival, though she knows each dawn could be her last. But something she never expected begins to happen: Khalid is nothing like what she'd imagined him to be. This monster is a boy with a tormented heart. Incredibly, Shahrzad finds herself falling in love. How is this possible? It's an unforgivable betrayal. Still, Shahrzad has come to understand all is not as it seem in this palace of marble and stone. She resolves to uncover whatever secret lurk and, despite her love, be ready to take Khalid's life as retribution for the many lives he's stolen. Can their love survive this world stories and secrets?

Review


This novel was simply mind-blowing, captivating, always staying one step ahead of the readers. You know a novel was beautifully written when even after finishing it you can't seem to think of anything else. I can still hear Shahrzad's tales in my head, I can still sense the unspoken words between Shazi and Khalid, a bond that needs no defining.

The one thing I did wrong on my part was reading The Wrath and The Dawn straight after finishing Throne of Glass. I did not give myself time to get over what I had read and experienced, basically all the damn FEELS. They simply intensified so much now that I've finished The Wrath and The Dawn. I simply cannot bring myself to pick up another book, I am just in awe of how Renee created such a beautiful world.

I loved the use of the different terminology, though I understood some of them, others I had to look up on the glossary and I loved that. By simply closing my eyes right now I can picture the view from the balcony, the training court, the markets. But that's not all; Renee has written such beautiful and somewhat humorous dialogues that I can remember Shazi's first encounter with Jalal, even with Uncle Salim - which I absolutely loved because Shahrzad didn't need anyone to come to her defense and Khalid knew that. 

Shahrzad; Strong-willed, honest, a great story-teller but moved by anger of the loss of her best friend. Khalid; whom everyone sees as a boy-king but has so much dept that can be seen through Shazi. Tariq; Moved by simple vengeance on the boy-king for taking the one thing he loves, Shazi. From the very beginning I didn't hate Khalid at all. Instead I was willed to see something completely different. He gave Shazi her chance to show she's the Calpha of Rey and show her strength but most of all why she was his everything, his 'Joonam'. With Tariq all we knew he wanted to kill Khalid and save Shahrzad but that's one thing he didn't need to do, because she saved herself, survived the Dawn and found the truth and so much more. But nevertheless I still understood why Tariq or even her dad, Jahandar did what they did and OMG.

Renee Ahdieh has done such a remarkable job bringing such a gripping read for us. I loved the alternating chapters, though at times I simple wanted to read Shahrzad and Khalid's point of view more, they enlightened the readers more. And that shocking discovery at the end, that painful, heartbreaking ending. I simply cannot take my mind off it, AT ALL! Renee what have you done to me. Some parts are heart achingly beautiful and other parts are hilarious, who knew such a combination will render me speechless. A must read for all you Fantasy lovers. I heard this book is going to a duo-logy, if that's true I'm happy and sad but I need The Rose and The Dagger so right now.

The Wrath and The Dawn - Renee Ahdieh 5 FRICKING STARS


2 comments:

  1. I LOVED LOVED LOVED The Wrath and The Dawn so much. Can we be besties and talk about how much we love this book all the time? Hahaha. But really, I agree with everything you've written. I loved Khalid from the beginning. I love dark and mysterious, tortured "villains", if that's what you want to call him. Personally, I couldn't stand Tariq. I didn't like his chapters, but mostly because, as you said, Khalid and Shazi's chapters were a lot more exciting and enlightening. Also, I think I'm being a little biased because I really love Shazi and Khalid together and Tariq gets in the way of their relationship. Also, I don't feel like Tariq really loves Shazi. I think that he loves the girl that she used to be. They have a lot of history together but, to quote the book: "A shared history does not entitle you to a future." You should check out my review of The Wrath and the Dawn here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES we can be besties and fangirl over this book haha. I get where you're coming from about Tariq, I think he see's himself more of a protector of Shazi every since childhood and when he didn't experience love, he thought 'this is love' with Shazi. Like in the book he couldn't really explain his love for Shazi, unlike Khalid he expressed it so beautifully through the letter at the end, it was amazing. But I still understand why Tariq is doing what he is, but Shazi and Khalid are my OTP. and I would love to check out your review :)

      Delete