Wednesday, 13 August 2014

Review: Half Blood #1 by Jennifer L . Armentrout

Summary


The Hematoi descend from the unions

of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi, pure-bloods, have godlike powers. Children if Hematoi and mortals - well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the Pures

Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than Easter it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it away. There are several rules that student at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:

Relationships between Pures and Halfs are forbidden. 

Unfortunately, she's crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn't her biggest problem - staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind if suck. 

Review


Half-Blood was such a compelling read, the moment the parcel slipped through the letterbox I knew it was a book, it was like a sixth sense when it came to books. And boy was I glad it was Half-Blood by Jennifer. I genuinely do not know where to start this review from, just before starting this review I was like "I'll start talking about this part, no start with that part...." And so that went on for some time until I thought "Why not start off with how confusing and hard it literally is to start off this review", so I did, and there you have it the first time in a long time I'm completely beat down and in awe of how this novel was so beautifully written. 

The way Jennifer made all characters so alive and just original and the main protagonist Alexandria - LOVE that name - so kick ass and sassy even toward the damn Apollyon, I'm sorry, but if you guys don't call that kick ass them I don't know what is. Even though Aiden - he is so my new fictional boyfriend - calls her reckless and childish in a serious way, but it just turns in to the most sweetest and cutest way as possible because there's always that smile tugging at his lips even in a serious situation. That is how Alex can handle the worse of all situation and I absolutely loved it!!!!! The chemistry between them was so believable and it touched my heart when it dawned on them that they actually cannot be together and that just broke my heart. Because a relationship between Pures and Halfs are a big fat NO NO, and that shit will go down if they get caught - blah blah blah - come on, seriously they are so made for each other, Alex with her sassy and action first think later attitude and then there's Aiden, patient and totally sexy with his gunmetal eye color that always make Alex see through all crap going on. 

The plot line was so gripping and originally, if the prequel was not included in this novel then I would have been less inclined to read as fast, but with the prequel there already it gave me more background on the relationship between Alex and her mother and the unknown reason why her mother left the safety of the Covenant just kept nagging at me making me want to finish it even faster, and I did. The concept behind the Daimons was very original, or the first I've read of such things being created in that way. The idea behind only Halfs being able to see through the glamour was amazing; because all their lives, Halfs are treated like crap only given two choices become a Sentinel or a servant. But the fact Halfs are needs by the Pures to kill the one thing that hunt them, to protect them shows they are just as esteemed as the Pures and that is what Aiden shows, no difference between himself and Alex which I really liked. But seeing through the glamour may just be one thing Alex doesn't want, because seeing through the glamour means getting a glimpse of the face of a Daimon but also means seeing the face of who they where before being turned, and that may just be the worse thing yet. 

The Apollyon was one overly annoying Half who has more power than a Pure. One that shouldn't be messed around with and that annoyed me. But Alex sure put him in his place by constantly testing his patience and questioning him, baiting him out. Alex just keeps on getting awesome by the minute. But maybe that was because of not getting to know him better, he was a mystery one that I really wanted to figure out. This novel on all bases was utterly mind blowing and I just cannot stress how completely in love I am with all the characters; Alex, Aiden, Caleb, even sworn enemy Lea, and surprising the Dean Alex's uncle and many more. This novel brings you kick ass characters, a stunning plot line and a battle from within that can only be won if the unbearable is done, and that is what Alexandria is about to face, will she succeed? Find out. 

Half-Blood - Jennifer L. Armentrout 5 Stars 

No comments:

Post a Comment